The purpose of report requirements document is to define the requirements for each report or group of reports.
Personally I don’t like to read 80 pages of technical documentation for a report. Nor would I want to scratch my head wondering what the report is doing Vs what it is supposed to do.
Here is a quick checklist of items to include in the report requirements documentation
- Business need for the report
- Requirements from the point of view of the end users
- The selection and the filter criteria
- Data elements in the report
- Calculations if any
- Parameters in the report
- Sort, grouping and totaling requirements
- Appearance and style requirements (i.e. layout of the report, column names to be shown etc)
- Performance requirements (speed and latency)
- Security requirements (who needs access to the report)